Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Changes

There are days when my nerve damage allows me to walk with minimal frustrations. On these rare occasions I usually take advantage by walking the community in which I work. One day I happened upon two individuals sipping coffee and enjoying the sunshine. You could tell by their clothing that they were passing through since everyone around them looked like an L.L. Bean catalog. I don't know why but my mind drifted back to simpler times when I enjoyed being. I had casualness about the day and thought anything could happen and it usually did. My clothing was simple, my meals were simple, and my desires were simple. Funny how torn jeans can remind you when a cup of coffee and a camel cigarette would start out the day quite nicely. Success is determined by our income and soon keeping up with the Jones's chokes out spontaneity like weeds overcoming a garden. When we determine that enough is enough the Universe seems to co-conspire with Fate and change happens. How that change affects us is contingent upon whether we look at it as opportunity or further disappointment.

I know change has occurred at the molecular level because I walked through Half Price Books and left empty handed. I don't believe I have ever visited a book store without walking out with hope in hand just knowing that the next paragraph I read will change my life. The realization that all the surrounding books were just other people's opinions struck me silly. Apparently my subconscious had already determined this because before I knew it I was musing it would be a long time before I purchased another book.

The majority of my life's changes have been surprises that were actually premeditated actions carried out while in denial. I'm not sure how many times I swore I would never do, say, or become a particular mold only to end up knee deep in it. This is a curious spot for me. I have always relentlessly pursued any and all spiritual and paranormal matters with a vigor and determination. Now I am more than happy to just experience whatever Providence assigns to my path. I look forward to investigating with an openness of possibilities instead of predetermined dogma in my arsenal. The simple act of being present in your own life really does allow appreciation for the small, overlooked happenings. A child's drawing, a dog's happy dance, or a wave from a neighbor can compliment a day. I think of times when I asked my daughters to play quietly while I read a book on how to experience happiness. If I would have just been present in my daughter's presence I would have heard the stories and shared in their laughter. For so long I looked only to the end result that I deemed appropriate instead of allowing what is and what can be to unfold on its own.

Many moons ago during a Dharma discussion I made the comment that I continued to build shelves in my garage for boxes containing contents that I hadn't seen in years. The discussion was centered on our Western culture and consumerism. I thought it curious that I maintained these possessions but was unwilling to let go. I was thinking of that discussion when for the first time yesterday I exited my car without reaching for several books, pamphlets, or documents that I was sure would shed a light on the How's and Why's of this life. I stepped from the car free and light and liked the feel.

It reminds me of a story an old man in Memphis told me. He asked if it made sense for a drowning man to cling to a sack full of rocks. I responded no. He pressed further, "Even if he thought they were the most important items in the world?" Envisioning the silliness of losing a life over possessions I still responded no. He sat back smiling and stated, "All he has to do is let go."

1 comment:

Martin said...

Clinging to no dogma, no philosophy, just accepting life as it is and being fully present in the moment - is truly the great paradoxical way of no-mind.

Those of us who seem to struggle against the universe in search of somewhere else, need to put aside our maps and guidebooks and just be where we are. So simple but so profound.

Good post. I constantly need to be reminded that the truth is not hiding itself from me - I'm just too busy looking to see it.